Jul 24, 2007

New art







This is a sneak preview of my new series. The name of it is "Inkings" (using the name in two ways -one as the normal meaning of the word and the other one meaning its connection with the Inka art) I think I will keep it a secret for the next months because I have to show something new at the interviews and articles I'm writing for some well known magazines at the time and I'm sure you will see them at the due moment.

Basically I'm using different elements you find in the Inca textiles in a new way.

For instance the borders that are made from a very special technique by the Nazca artisans are made with crochet by me to give an idea of the way they end the borders.

I also used a kind of border with small birds on it at the bottom (the birds are the buttons).

I must say this work was the prototype and I already improved some features...

All has a deteriorated look like some originals that have been found have.

I found a very good book about these textiles. The name of it is "Early Nasca Needlework" from
Alan R. Sawyer
and it is a wonderful one because it shows even how the technique I mean is made (very time consuming!). The price of the book is really high but it was worth every penny I spent!

You can also see the way I frame my work on the pictures. I get the frames at IKEA.

14 comments:

  1. sara, i love peruvian textiles, especial the weaving. i can see how your details are related and i love how you are using the design as inspiration. great endeavor, can't wait to see more.
    and the frame is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is gorgeous!! I love her!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this is the prototype, I can't wait to see the inproved pieces. She is truly beautiful. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual all you create is wonderful! I love the ancient cultures and sometimes I get inspiration as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. esta muy lindo!,...esos textiles del libro me encantan, indudable que el trabajo es enorme, te envio este link de crochet:
    http://www.ihanna.nu/blog/?p=474
    ...solo porque los pajaritos y los colores me lo recordaron

    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super schön geworden! Und danke für den Tipp mit IKEA.
    LG
    Waltraud

    ReplyDelete
  7. ganz toll!! gefällt mir super!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sara, I like the way you changed the Inka-themes into your very own language!! It's such a wonderful challenge to transforme themes into one's own material.
    Curious to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these pieces are so enjoyable to see i love your work and the way you have framed them the colour of your work is very happy... margie

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for all you said about the piece. it is important for me to know how you like this new series.
    i see that the study of the nazca art is very interesting because you can see that there is a common denominator in the textile language. the incas have taken advantage of a large spectrum of possibilities and had some great ideas. they worked in a very modern way. my son looked at some pictures and noticed they are not very different of the way you work with pixels in graphic and design.
    i'm already working on the next ones and i enjoy it every day more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sara,

    I like your Inkings! Absolutely delightful.

    Thank you for sharing your creations with us.

    My best,
    Joan Hawley
    Lazy Girl Designs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all this blog, all the images, all the creations, all the posts; it's so funny, so creative, so ........ .marvellous. I shall come again longer.
    thanks for the walk
    Anne from France
    http://quilt007.free.fr

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all this blog, all the images, all the creations, all the posts; it's so funny, so creative, so ........ .marvellous. I shall come again longer.
    thanks for the walk
    Anne from France
    http://quilt007.free.fr

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI again, I should be interested bu the pendant in last march, the second pendant (some more ladies). Is it sold? What is the price? How can I pay, where do you live? Can I pay in euro? and with the bank card?
    I like your figures, you are an excellent drawner
    and son on......thansk for your answer
    Anne from France
    http:/quilt007.free.fr

    ReplyDelete